Maybe you’re still working on finalizing the term papers, or getting ready for the summer or for a vacation in a foreign country, you will find Oxford Dictionaries Online a handy tool to help hone your English skills. We have a institutional subscription to Oxford Dictionaries English at VLS. It’s not only a wonderful site to look up the meanings of words, their pages are full of useful resources as well. Ever wonder what’s the difference between affect and effect? How do you use an Oxford comma? Is a zebra a horse? Welcome to Oxford Dictionaries English, your go-to hub for language advice.
What can you do with Oxford Dictionaries?
- Find answers to the most common language questions
- Discover the random question and commonly confused words pages
- Take a look at their grammar guides and find example letters and writing help
- Explore the OxfordWords blog, home to daily articles, quizzes, and competitions
- Talk with fellow language-lovers from around the globe in the Oxford Dictionaries Community
Interested to law students, our premium subscription also includes one useful online book/dictionary named Garner’s Dictionary of Legal Usage. This dictionary provides invaluable help for practicing lawyers, legal scholars, students and anyone who deals with the language of law. It provides guidance on all the vexing questions that legal writers face, from correcting grammatical errors and framing legal issues to distinguishing between near-synonyms. We also have a print copy of this book in the library reference collection.
Access this (and more) database from our library portal A-Z database page. Let us know if you like it or not, or if you have any questions! Reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.